Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Whine and Bear - the new PMBOK Guide is coming!


This post is all about beverages: whine and bear.


The context is the book that - like it or not - is the defining guide - the standard - for our profession. I refer of course, to PMI's PMBOK(R) Guide - officially, "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge".



Whine

I have sometimes heard PMs [and this definitely includes myself and other PMP-credentialed project managers] whine about the standard. One of my complaints, for example, has been that it has the opportunity to be very specific and precendent-setting, but instead is very vague and general when it comes, for example, to setting a standard scale for risk impact.


Bear
Others just grin and bear with it. They don't whine, but they ignore or keep their complaints inside.
I did both of these things. I whined. I beared (or is that bore....bored...whatever) with it. But then I actually signed up to be one of the many volunteer editors. I worked pretty hard on a couple of chapters, and many of my changes actually got in. So - frankly - I have less drinking to do this time around, because I got some of my ideas into this Edition.

Cheers!
Didn't get to be an editor? Think your chance to have an effect on the PMBOK Guide is done? Well, cheer up! The exposure draft (yet another reference to a beverage) of the 4th Edition has been made available, giving you the chance to contribute to the PMBOK Guide. Until 22-March, 2008, you have the chance, PMI member or not, to go to the following site: http://www.pmi.org/Resources/Pages/Exposure-Drafts.aspx to view and, yes, propose changes to the document. You can drink in (okay, enough already) what's in the 4th Edition, scheduled for release at the end of 2008.
I suggest that if you have been whining, or just bearing with the previous editions, you can take this opportunity to comment. You can go to a particular section, so if you have a pet peeve about Project Risk Management, you can go directly to Chapter 11 (the part of the book, not bankrupcy, that is) and edit away at your area of concern. So, go for the gusto! Speak your piece! Or forever hold your palate!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Rich

I've been onto the site and offerred a few comments.

You know, I reckon the PMBOK is actually not bad as a vanilla tech manual.

For me it's main weakness is also inherent in its strength. It only addresses PM specific activities.

As a result much of the critical success factors are not addressed (i.e. paying attention to the poeple involved.)

I figure blogs like yours are the way people get to learn about the human side of project management, and become better practitioners.

Cheers


Visit Exclaim! Project Management



Support this site, view these content-related videos, please! Thanks.